Since its founding in 2010, E2’s San Diego Chapter has grown to more than 300 members and supporters. E2’s California chapters have played a key role in passage of many of California’s marquee climate and clean energy policies, including several firsts for the nation. San Diego members have brought the business voice to bear on the state’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard, Renewables Portfolio Standard, and Cap and Trade extension. E2’s California policy program will continue work to defend, strengthen, and extend the state’s climate and clean energy program while looking for opportunities to establish California as a global leader in water efficiency, plastic pollution reduction, and other issues at the nexus of the environment and the economy. The San Diego Chapter is also uniquely positioned to defend California’s ocean economy against expanded offshore oil drilling.
- Growing the clean energy economy
- Reducing economy-wide greenhouse gas emissions
- Protecting the ocean economy from offshore oil and gas development
- Decarbonizing the built environment
- Modernizing and electrifying the transportation sector
- In August 2019, E2 released Clean Jobs California, a report that details employment in the Golden State’s clean energy economy, including energy efficiency, renewable generation, and clean fuels and vehicles. The report received strong media coverage, including from the Sacramento Bee and the Mercury News. E2 also released its district-level fact sheets, analyzing employment and investment in the state’s legislative districts driven by climate and clean energy policies and programs.
- In August 2019, over 200 E2 California members and supporters signed onto a letter in support of SB 54 and AB 1080, identical versions of the California Circular Economy and Plastic Pollution Reduction Act. These bills would ensure California is on the forefront of reducing pollution from single-use packaging and products, setting a goal to reduce waste generated from single-use packaging and products by 75 percent by 2030.
- In August 2019, a delegation of 14 E2 California members and supporters traveled to Sacramento for meetings with 27 legislative offices and senior staff of the Newsom administration. The delegation advocated on multiple policy priorities, including support for the California Circular Economy and Plastic Pollution Reduction Act and opposition of a proposal (AB 1424) that would hamper open access to California’s public network of electric vehicle charging stations.
- In December 2018, E2 hosted an event featuring Assemblymember Todd Gloria, San Diego’s former Interim Mayor and the author of the city’s groundbreaking Climate Action Plan.
- In 2018, E2 California elevated the business voice to help pass SB 100, which increased California’s Renewables Portfolio Standard to 60 percent by 2030 and created a statewide planning goal of 100 percent clean energy by 2045.
- In 2018, E2 California organized business voices as part of the Business Alliance to Protect the Pacific Coast to defend California’s coastline from additional offshore oil and gas development. In response to opposition, the Trump administration indefinitely postponed its plans to expand oil and gas drilling off the nation’s coasts.
- In 2017, E2 California amplified the business voice to help pass the bill package of AB 398 and AB 617, which extended California’s Cap-and-Trade carbon pricing program through 2030 and addressed critical air quality issues throughout the state.
- In 2016, E2 California harnessed the business voice to help pass SB 32, which extended California’s statewide greenhouse gas reduction goals out to 2030.
Interested in learning more? Want to help us advance our climate and clean energy goals in San Diego and across the state and country?
Reach out to Western States Advocate Andy Wunder (firstname.lastname@example.org) to start receiving updates on E2’s work in your area – including attending upcoming regional events, participating in our advocacy campaigns, receiving our email newsletters, and more!