Who We Are
E2 is a national, nonpartisan group of business leaders, investors, and professionals from every sector of the economy who advocate for smart policies that are good for the economy and good for the environment. E2’s more than 10,000 members and supporters work and do business in every state in the country, coming from diverse business backgrounds ranging from clean energy and clean tech to real estate and finance and beyond.
Our members have been involved in the financing, founding or development of more than 2,500 companies that have created more than 600,000 jobs, and manage more than $100 billion in venture and private equity capital.
Our supporters sign dozens of letters to lawmakers and government leaders, submit numerous comments to new federal rulemaking, attend the many E2 events in chapters across the country, and support our policy efforts on social media and in their business circles.
What We Do
E2 provides a time-efficient way for business leaders to leverage their professional experience and networks to make a difference by helping shape policies that are good for the economy and good for the environment. E2 helps its members:
- Stay informed on critical issues affecting the economy and the environment
- Learn how to effectively communicate, advocate, and engage directly with lawmakers, policymakers in Washington and in state capitals to make change happen
- Connect with the media to bring business voices to the public discussion about environmental issues
- Meet and collaborate with fellow business leaders, investors and others who share a commitment to building an environmentally sustainable economy at E2’s local chapter events, national gatherings, and advocacy trips.
E2 is a national, nonpartisan group of business leaders, investors and others who advocate for smart policies that are good for the economy and good for the environment.
E2 has influenced critical policies at the state, regional and federal levels in a wide range of sectors, including energy, climate, oceans, water, transportation, and smart growth. We promote policies that not only improve our air, water, and public health, but also create jobs and provide better economic returns using fewer natural resources.
Our major victories include:
- Helping pass the nation’s first automobile emissions standards, driving innovation and job growth in the clean fuels and automobile sectors.
- Helping pass the nation’s first limits on carbon pollution from power plants, driving innovation and job growth in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Helping secure funding for clean energy and clean fuels in the military, creating new markets for private industry.
- Gaining support for the federal Clean Power Plan to cut carbon emissions from power plants; driving growth in clean energy
- Supporting the military’s use of renewable energy and biofuel, stimulating growth in clean energy markets
- Helping pass the nation’s first cap-and-trade program (Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative) that has lowered emissions by 40% since its inception in 2009 and added $1.3 billion in economic activity since 2011.
- Advancing renewable portfolio standards in Colorado, North Carolina, Illinois and other states
- Helping pass low-carbon fuel legislation in California and elsewhere, spurring growth and innovation in biofuel and electric vehicle industries
Policymakers often tell us that major environmental victories could not be won without the support of E2’s business voice. Our members’ experience and credibility is the key to E2’s ability to provide a more balanced perspective and to share the ‘real world’ impact of policies on business.
The year e2 was founded
Media hits each year
Advocacy actions by E2 members each year
Members from across the country
Companies founded or funded by E2 Members
Jobs created by E2 members
Meetings with lawmakers each year
Industry reports released since 2010
Billion venture/private capital investments managed by E2 members
On Diversity & Equity
A good economy and good environment should be good for all.
For that reason, E2 supports policies that advance diversity and equity and ensures that the benefits of a clean economy – jobs, savings, opportunities, health – are extended to all communities. Environmental justice is considered in every policy on which we work, and diversity and inclusivity are tantamount in everything we do. Internally, we will prioritize making our membership more representative of America as a whole and addressing internal biases that can keep us from fulfilling our goals.
E2 was founded in 2000 and is partner of the Natural Resources Defense Council. With more than 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals and the strength of 2 million members across the country, NRDC is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization.
This affiliation gives E2 access to the resources of NRDC: analytical and policy expertise, government affairs insight and relationships, communications platform and support. NRDC provides a dedicated staff to support the efforts of E2’s volunteer leadership.
Contributions to E2 are made directly to NRDC.