Projects expected to create 6,100 jobs, drive $2.7 billion in private-sector investments
WASHINGTON – Businesses announced plans for at least 13 new large-scale clean energy projects in 11 states in September, according to the latest monthly analysis of new clean energy and electric vehicle projects by the national nonpartisan business group E2. Based on publicly available information from 10 of the 13 announcements that included new jobs and/or investment estimates, the projects would create more than 6,100 jobs and result in nearly $2.7 billion in private-sector investments.
Between August 2022, when the federal Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) was signed into law, and the end of September, E2 tracked 236 new large-scale clean energy projects and investments announced by companies across 39 states and Puerto Rico. Companies announced at least 82,000 new jobs and nearly $93 billion in capital investment in these projects.
Following is a statement from Bob Keefe, E2 executive director:
“Communities and workers across America continue to see new opportunities and investments stemming from the Inflation Reduction Act and other clean energy policies.
“From California’s Silicon Valley to coastal Virginia, America’s economic revolution continues.”
A full list of announcements is available at e2.org/announcements/.
- Five of the planned projects are located in Democratic congressional districts and three in Republican districts. Site specifics were unavailable to identify the congressional districts for the five other developments at the time of release (Norfolk, Va.; Providence, R.I.; Bartlesville, Okla.; Hopkinsville, Ky.; and TBD, Ala.)
- Electric vehicle manufacturing accounted for 80 percent of the estimated investment dollars from the announcements, with more than $2.1 billion estimated to be invested in three projects across Ill., Mich., and N.M.
- Seven of the announcements were made by U.S.-based companies.
- Manufacturing continued to dominate the list of announcements, accounting for eight of the 13 announcements and $2.6 billion of the investments announced.
Clean Energy Works September 2023 | projects announced by date
|Date||Company||State||Source||Sector||Type||Jobs||Investment (in millions)|
|9/12||Eaton Corporation||TX||Link||Grid, Transmission and Electrification||Manufacturing||600||$80M|
|9/20||Blue Whale Materials||OK||Link||Battery/Storage||Recycling||90|
|9/26||Ascend & SK Ecoplant||KY||Link||Battery/Storage||Recycling||60||$65M|
- E2: Clean Jobs America 2023 – Interactive National Map + Jobs Data for Every State, County, Metro
- E2: Clean Economy Works Home Page – Full List of Announcements + Interactive Map
E2 is a national, nonpartisan group of business leaders, investors, and professionals from every sector of the economy who advocate for smart policies that are good for the economy and good for the environment. Our members have founded or funded more than 2,500 companies, created more than 600,000 jobs, and manage more than $100 billion in venture and private equity capital. For more information, see www.e2.org or follow us on Twitter at @e2org.